Nostalgic Fisherman’s Wharf in Monterey
Fisherman’s Wharf is a historic wharf in Monterey, California, United States. Used as an active wholesale fish market into the 1960s, the wharf eventually became the tourist attraction it is today as commercial fishing tapered off in the area. The Wharf was constructed in 1926. After World War II, the sardine population in Monterey Bay collapsed. With the fall of the fishing industry, Old Fisherman’s Wharf reoriented its business focus toward tourism.
Fisherman’s Wharf was built by the Pacific Coast Steamship Company in 1870 for the loading and unloading of passengers and goods. The wharf was also used by other commercial operations, and the city of Monterey took ownership in 1913. The wharf was expanded through 1920.
Fisherman’s Wharf is now lined with great seafood restaurants ranging from casual, open-air clam bars and fish and chip shops, to formal indoor dining with incredible views of the bay. Along with Cannery Row, Fisherman’s Wharf is one of the few areas in Monterey that sells souvenirs, so the restaurants are interspersed with gift shops, jewelry stores, art galleries, and candy shops. Whale watching tours and fishing trips leave from the wharf, and sea lions often sleep on the pilings and are seen frolicking in the water.
Old Fisherman’s Wharf is a short 10 minute walk from The Monterey Stage Coach Lodge. Stay at affordable room rates. For more details visit: http://www.montereystagecoachlodge.com/reservations